A year ago we made some bold coworking industry predictions. Nostradamus would be proud. In 2017 the industry saw robust growth, community specialization and an increase in enterprise corporations moving into shared workspaces. In 2017 leading brands, including Industrious Office and Bond Collective, began to emerge and coworking space software also evolved to accommodate the industry's needs.
State of the Coworking Industry
So what will 2018 bring for the industry? In late December 2017, the Harvard Business Review predicted rapid growth with the numbers of coworking space members increasing from 1.8 million today to 3.8 million by 2020. The billion dollar industry is leaving its impression changing both the landscape and the thinking within the workspace industry.
Thus we expect 2018 will be another year of growth for the coworking industry. Two counter trends will drive upcoming growth. One is increasing demand from large companies. Facebook, IBM, HSBC, Salesforce, Merck, McKinsey, Microsoft and others already rent coworking space. While this list is largely technology companies, other industries will beging to realize the flexibility coworking provides their budget and balance sheet. One could argue the shared workspace is not really coworking anymore.
The counter trend is the rise of independent workers. This group is exptected to make up 40% of the US workforce by 2020. Many newly independent emplyees start in their home office or coffee shop. Over time, many realize they can have more productive client meetings with amenities like conference rooms. And that being part of a coworking community can benefit them both socially and professionally. This can drive a move into a shared workspace, and especially suburban coworking.
2018 Coworking Events Calendar
If you're just beginning to investigate the industry or if you're an experienced space operator, 2018 welcomes conferences perfect for learning about industry trends and networking with like-minded colleagues. Coworking has gone global so it is not surprising to see coworking events span the globe.
- What: The Coworking Unconference Asia
- When: February 9-11, 2018
- Where: Penang, Malaysia
- More on the global unconference series below
- What: Worktech18 Sydney
- When: March 21, 2018
- Where: Sydney, Australia
- Worktech is a series of global events which gathers together the best and brightest in the workplace industry in strategic locations all over the world. These events are for anyone who is involved in the future of work and the workplace. More locations/dates listed below.
- What: Worktech18 Tokyo
- When: April 5, 2018
- Where: Tokyo, Japan
- What: Global Coworking Unconference (GCUC) USA
- When: April 22-24, 2018
- Where: New York City, USA
- With a tagline of "a worldwide explosion of coworking awesomeness" the GCUC (pronounced juicy) isn't to be missed. Events are held worldwide with the first one of 2018 happening in the U.S. Visit here for international event dates.
- Greetly is the receptionist sponsor of GCUC USA. Stop by our booth!
- What: Pennsylvania Coworking Conference
- When: April 26-27
- Where: Lancaster, PA
- As the industry goes global, some Pennsylvania operators look to build local expertise.
- What: Business Centre Association
- When: May 15, 2018
- Where: London, England
- Event for the British executive suites industry organization
- What: Worktech18
- When: May 17, 2018
- Where: New York, NY
- What: Coworking Spain
- When: May 17-18
- Where: Madrid, Spain
- What: Explore Quality Coworking 2018
- When: May 21-22, 2018
- Where: Edinburgh, Scotland
- What: Worktech18 Paris
- When: TBD
- Where: Paris, France
- What: Worktech18 Munich
- When: June 27, 2018
- Where: Munich, Germany
- What: Coworking Nigeria
- When: July 5, 2018
- Where: Lagos, Nigeria
- What: FlexOffice 2018
- When: September 12-14, 2018
- Where: Austin, Texas
- The Global Workspace Association (GWA) and the National Association for Industrial and Office Parks (NAIOP) are teaming up to offer a dynamic event this fall bringing you the latest in networking opportunities and flexible office strategies.
What: Coworking Europe
- When: Exact dates TBD
- Where: Dublin, Ireland
- Europe's premier annual shared work space event brings together over 500 operators.
Make plans now to attend one (or more!) of these events to boost your industry knowledge. As sponsors or participents of many of these conference, the Greetly team looks forward to seeing you there!